St. Anthony's Bone and Joint
Services is a partnership with the finest orthopedic surgeons available in the country. Encompassing education, minimally invasive procedures, and a continuum of care through recovery, physical therapy, and home care, we bring all the conditions together for a rapid recovery.
MAKO® Robotic Orthopedic Surgery
Together, providing innovative care close to home.
If everyday tasks have become a painful experience, St. Anthony's can bring relief. Our hospital offers a revolutionary, minimally invasive procedure utilizing a robotic arm for precision partial knee resurfacing and total hip replacements. With faster recovery times and lasting results, you can quickly return to your active life.
MAKO is a robotic arm capable of performing MAKOplasty® partial knee resurfacing and total hip replacement.
Reduce your pain. Restore your life with MAKO, only at HSHS St. Anthony’s.
Do you have:
- Pain while standing or walking short distances, climbing up or down stairs, or getting in and out of chairs
- Pain in the knee or hip that has hindered your lifestyle
- Pain in the knee or hip that you have adapted to as part of getting older
- Swelling in one or more areas of the knee
- Knee pain associated with Osteoarthritis (OA)
St. Anthony's Orthopedic Center has earned The Joint Commission's Gold Seal of Approval® for Joint Replacement Program Certifications for Total Knee, Hip, and Shoulder.
St. Anthony's was one of the first hospitals in the region to perform robotic assisted surgery and has been doing so for over a year.
What is Osteoarthritis (OA)?
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a form of arthritis and a degenerative joint disease characterized by the breakdown and eventual loss of joint cartilage. Cartilage is a protein substance that serves as a cushion between the bones of a joint. With OA, the top layer of cartilage breaks down and wears away, allowing bones under the cartilage to rub together. OA is the most common form of arthritis and a leading cause of disability worldwide
How does the MAKO procedure work?
The benefits of the MAKO procedure:
- MAKOplasty® is an innovative, less invasive new treatment option for people with pain
- MAKO enables surgeons to accurately target only the diseased portion of the knee or hip, without compromising the healthy bone and tissue surrounding it
- MAKO facilitates ideal implant positioning to result in a more natural feeling joint.
- Since all three compartments of the knee are replaced in total knee replacement, it is not always optimal for patients with early to mid-stage OA. For these patients MAKO may be the best solution
- MAKOplasty customizes the procedure for your unique anatomy
- Minimally invasive
- Ligament preserving
- Bone and tissue sparing
- Small incision
- Shorter hospital stay
- Leads to a more rapid recovery than traditional replacement surgery, with many patients going home the same day.
- More natural feeling joint post-operatively
St. Anthony's Surgery Center has 10 spacious suites, with leading-edge equipment and facilities for our surgeons and their patients. Our multi-disciplinary team of skilled professionals is there to assist the surgeon and the patient to provide the greatest of care and safety for your surgery and recovery.
Orthopedic patients recover in private rooms with comfortable furnishings and flat screen TVs. A physical therapy area is located on the floor so that patients receive convenient and timely treatments.
St. Anthony's Memorial Hospital was selected as one of “100 Hospitals with Great Orthopedic Programs” by Becker’s Hospital Review in 2011 and 2012.